Sunday, June 14, 2009

My music

There are songs that speak volumes to me and music that I can listen to for hours together.

One such no. is Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen.

It can be just another regular song playing on your playlist or it can become a haunting piece of music that forces you to stop everything and just surrender to its melody. It can be religious and it can be erotic (depending on which version of the song you listen to). Its lyrics can be interpreted in multiple ways. It speaks to your heart - can touch your soul (listen to the K D Lang version) - a pensive melancholy overwhelming you everytime you hear it.

So when you are alone/lonely; draw the shades, close your eyes and Hallelujah!

Try the simple version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB67HO8tkQs

Or whats regarded as the best rendition of the song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYiMJ2bC65A

Lyrics:

I heard there was a secret chord

That David played and it pleased the Lord

But you don't really care for music, do you?

It goes like this, the fourth, the fifth,

the minor fall, the major lift,

the baffled king composing Hallelujah

Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelu----jah

Your faith was strong but you needed proof,

You saw her bathing on the roof,

Her beauty in the moonlight overthrew you

She tied you to a kitchen chair,

She broke your throne, she cut your hair,

And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelu----jah

Maybe I have been here before,

I know this room; I have walked this floor,

I used to live alone before I knew you

I've seen your flag on the marble arch,

Love is not a victory march,

It's a cold and its a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelu----jah

There was a time you let me know whats really going on below,

But now you never show it to me, do you? (and)

Remember when I moved in you;

The holy dark was moving too,

And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelu----jah

Maybe there's a God above,

and all I ever learned from love was how to shoot at someone who outdrew you

And its not a cry you can hear at night,

Its not somebody who's seen the light,

Its a cold and its a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelu--jah

Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelu---u---jah

1 comment:

M3 said...

Whoa!! Awesome blog! Should've taken your autograph when we were neighbors in term 7 :)