Saturday, June 27, 2009

Aadi - Story 1

She stood in the court, head held high. She confessed to her love, their affair, admitted to knowing that he used the company funds to take her for her Egyptian holiday and acknowledged that she knew he was married. Twenty minutes into her speech - his job, reputation and the case was finished. He was as good as divorced.

As she walked out the courtroom, Aadi asked her to stop. "Oh gudia don't look so sad. I know they cornered you. You couldn't help it. No need to apologise. Wait in the car for me. Lets just get home." She said nothing.

On the drive back, both were silent. As they were reaching his home Aadi said "Gudia, it doesn't matter if they fire me. Which I know they will. I don't regret a thing. Four years in that shit marriage I never felt alive even for a moment. Sumi tried to make it work but I just didn't love her. I never loved anyone till I met you. I don't know what is it about you - the things you say, the way you move, your books everything is just so irresistable. I love you Aayesha. I love you so much. And don't you worry everything will be fine. I will make it okay. Did Anwar call? (She nodded.) So you know right? The registration is done. I have transferred the house in your name. Now let's see Sumi try to wriggle that from me now. Bitch has nearly cost me fortune to get rid off."

Aayesha didn't say anything. Just leaned on the right and pressed her body next to his. He kissed her hair and the rest of the drive was spent silently listening to 'November Rain.'

He rang the door bell- twice. Sumi answered it - looking radiant in her chiffons. Aayesha was hesitant for a moment stepping in but Aadi firmly held her hand.

Sumi spoke first. "Please let's not be melodramatic today. I have made drinks for everyone. Let us just have them."
"Aayesha doesn't drink. She has only...."
"Coke with lots of ice ( Sumi interrupted) I know Aadi"
"How do you know that? Let me guess. You hired a dick to track us. Typical of a bitch. And whose bags are these? Are you clearing out of my house?"

Sumi laughed. She always had a mirthful laugh. Unabashed and undulterated. "Oh Aadi, do you remember last year on our anniversary when you told me you rather #$%^ the maid than be with me. You always had a way with words. Anyway, I realised that day this marriage was not worth fighting for. In college, you know, someone was in love with me. Every day I got a little note saying how wonderful I was. When I found out the writer's identity I got scared and nothing ever happened between us. But those notes they made me feel alive then. She knew me so well. So the very next day after you had left for office I went through all my old contacts to find out where Aayesha was. And would you believe it - She was in Delhi all this time. We met the next week. And everyday after that. This was her idea. She was aways the brilliant one. Anyway, we just thought you should know what actually happened. Now please let's not be melodramatic today. I will ask the maid to put your bags in the car. Your shaving kit is in the red suitcase. My lawyer will get in touch with yours tomorrow. "

Aadi gulped down his drink without a word. As he closed the front door behind him his last vision was of the two women tenderly embracing each other. As they broke away from their kiss, his heart broke. He was never quite the same man again.

Inside Aayesha laughed loudly. "You are such a dramebaaz, Sumi."
S: Hey can't I have some fun sometime! (eyes twinkling with glee)
A: I wasn't prepared for the kiss (frowning)
S: Yes, err that was a spur of the moment improvisation. (smilling wickedly)
A:But why all this kahani, bebo?
S: You know Aadi hates to lose. And the one thing that he would hate more than losing is losing to a woman. That too someone like me. He never loved me. You know that. But he never respected me as well. And for months know I have wanted to slap him out of his smugness, out of this feeling of power that he knew had over me just because I loved him. So just getting the house was not enough. He can build one again. Although I would like to see which bank would hire him now? Still. I needed him to lose the thing he most needed. You.
A:Cool. Complicated enough. I think I would use it for my next novel
S:Go ahead. Pay me my loyalties before that. Speaking of payment, the broker said he has found a buyer already. Great price. Anwar called a while back. He is waiting for you at home. Have dinner with me first Aayesha. I hate eating alone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely!!!
(I Should thank Shabnam for the link!!)

idle times said...

Thanks Puja and Shabnam :)