Friday, June 5, 2009

KP or not to KP

My most moronic conversations have happened with educated literate people. I hate it when people walk up to me and enquire about my caste/creed. For a person who doesn’t wear her religion on her sleeve this curiosity to know my caste/creed irritates me to no end. What the hell is it to you “what am I”. And I never know what the right answer to that question is. I am an Indian or kashmiri pandit or a woman or an MBA, what?

Worse are fellow KPs who think it’s a matter of great pride that they won the ovarian lottery to be a KP. I mean I am proud of who I am but I don’t seek out fellow caste members to bond with them.“ Kaul,..Kaul that makes you a Kashmiri doesn’t it. I am one too. My family is from Srinagar. Where is your from? Blah blah blah ” Puhleeze!!! If you want to interact with me do so if you think I seem like an interesting person to know or if you feel that we share some common interests. But please spare me the Kashmiri-kashmiri bonding.

Don’t get me wrong. I think KPs rock. We are definitely very advanced when it comes to women rights, KP girls are very beautiful and men as “Pathan types” as they come. Nice progressive close knit group but I hate this myopia that goes with the assumption that all people of a caste/creed should stick together.

Also my pet peeve is with those who when they find out I don’t know kashmiri language look so disappointed. I don’t need your approval man to belong to the KP clan. Worse still are the follow up questions: do your parents know it? Did you visit Kashmir? Did your parents live there? etc. All this in the first conversation that I am having with you! (A conversation that I did not even initiate.) And I definitely do not solicit that stupid advice with that stupid expression: “Why don’t you learn it?”. Arrey why the hell don’t you mind your own business! I don’t know you. What gives you the right to tell me what to do! Jaan na pehchaan. And in the last year 5 different KPs have been guilty of doing this. And trust me I made it a point never to interact with them again.

So finally for those who I know will misunderstand let me summarise:
  • I love being a KP. Very proud of it.
  • Don’t know the K. language. Not teaching my kids the same and yes don’t want to learn it either.
  • Never have been to Kashmir. And till terrorism ends there have no plans of visiting.

If you are a KP please do drop in to say hello but don’t rattle of those inquisitive personal questions and give me “how to be a better KP” advice.I would love to interact with you but not just because you are from a particular region or share the same surname as mine.

Anyway TGIF! But I have no fun plans for this weekend thanks to a very lethargic rather busy circle of friends and this is irritating me more. So will sign off now and rant a little later.

1 comment:

Chaos said...

ha ha ha ha ha ROTFL, this one even if it was a rant......
btw had a very different question.... ISB or not ISB? If ISB then which part of ISB? What at ISB? How at ISB? And finally, a very important question - do you know height to the hundredth decimal of the top perch of the library roof garden and the diameter of the atrium and the no of mango trees on the campus,, have you counted all these? if not then bah..... no ISB.......one more disownment shall happen soon :P