Thursday, June 25, 2009

Help sought

For weeks now a friend and I have talked about ways by which we can make a positive impact on society. To give back something to it. Unfortunately somehow things are not moving forward as quickly as we would like them to. The ideas we have will take time (and resources) to execute. Now patience as most of you might know is not one of my many virtues. Therefore, on an individual level I want to start doing something RIGHT NOW.

I am not aiming for a great impact, just looking at doing some thing atleast that involves looking beyond my petty problems and perennial blues. I haven’t done anything for society so far. Some of my friends have done so much work for their community that I am very ashamed of the lackadaisical attitude I have shown to life so far. So from here on I pledge to do something (howsoever miniscule) every week that will go beyond my regular trips to Shopper’s Stop and inane blog writing.

There are 2 very simple activities that I have picked for myself and I want you guys to carry out the same at your end.

1. Every Saturday I pledge to feed a family. I will get food packets prepared at home, go to a place of worship and distribute the same. For those of you who don’t have a maid, I recommend you contact any of the dozen small eateries that have sprung up everywhere you look and get basic food parcels made.

This is a doable exercise and doesn't involve much effort or money. I know some of you will think what's the big deal about it, it is too simple and regular. And that's precisely why I urge you to do the same at your end. I know making plans about removing world hunger seems more impactful and worthwhile but even this execise if carried out regularly can make a difference.

So all of you reading, promise me that this Saturday you will carry this out and if you are short of time (and in Hyd) I will help you with the same.

2. I plan to teach. English, Hindi and Basic Maths. Where? I have to figure that out. There is a masjid right in front of my home- maybe there..then again maybe not. Still haven’t worked out the logistics for this one. But yeah this is what I want to do. If you have any suggestions on how to carry out the same (in Hyderabad - near Raj Bhawan Road) leave a note.

So this is the plan for the weekend. Join me in executing action point no. 1 this Saturday. And yes let’s compare notes on Sunday then.

No comments: